[CentOS-devel] CentOS7 minimal install ISO

Manuel Wolfshant

wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Thu Jun 26 16:51:32 UTC 2014

On 06/26/2014 07:22 PM, Jeff Sheltren wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 9:02 AM, Stephen John Smoogen
> <smooge at gmail.com <mailto:smooge at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     Here is out current minimal kickstart package list. We use this as
>     the basics to get a box installable from the ground up with
>     everything else needed afterwords. There is still a lot of
>     bike-shedding here: (postfix vs sendmail, remove prelink,
>     biosdevname, etc) but it comes out to about 353 packages and a
>     disk usage of 888 MB. Ansible and yum gets the rest for us.
>     %packages --nobase
>     acpid
>     authconfig
>     bash-completion
>     bind-utils
>     -biosdevname
>     -cronie-anacron
>     cronie-noanacron
>     crontabs
>     dhclient
>     iptables-services
>     -iwl*
>     -libertas*
>     -logwatch
>     mailx
>     nfs-utils
>     nmap-ncat
>     ntp
>     ntpdate
>     openssh-clients
>     openssh-server
>     patch
>     postfix
>     -prelink
>     rsync
>     screen
>     telnet
>     tmpwatch
>     traceroute
>     -sendmail
>     -sendmail-cf
>     strace
>     tmux
>     vim-enhanced
>     yum
>     yum-utils
>

> Stephen, thanks for sharing!  In my opinion I'd say "minimal" doesn't
> need things like: mailx, nfs-utils, patch, rsync, screen, telnet,
> traceroute, strace, tmux.  vim-enhanced I personally would like to
> include, but it's not really minimal.
>
> Just throwing that out there for discussion.  I don't have a strong
> disagreement with your list -- although 888M does seem to be getting
> kind of large.
     Let's define some ground rules first.
- As has been stated before ( and decided in the 6.3=> 6.4 transition
era ) what will be called " minimal.iso" will reflect the @core group
AND include all the hardware support
- What we can debate upon is an older proposal which came on IRC and
which I mentioned in my previous message, that is a "micro.iso". My
target is knowledgeable people who would want a quick server setup and
would push anyway afterwards whatever they needed depending on the
purpose of the machine, With this in mind,  from my point of view this
one would be really minimal with just the needed stuff  to have a
bootable WIRED machine and ( debatable ) some means to do config mgmt.
However given the multitude of existing options I am not too keen on
including anything for this specific purpose but rather let the admin
copy the bootstrap tools of choice via scp.

     From the list above I would exclude several items, such as nmap,
patch, tmux,, screen, bash-completion... OTOH I would definitely include
biosdevname , for the simple reason that Dell loves to use it ( even if
it's not mandatory ). Not to mention that including BOTH tmux and screen
on a MINIMAL image seems excessive given that they have the same
purpose. And.. wasn't sendmail replaced by postfix a decade ago ? :) (
#define decade = one major release )

> I wonder what size Wolfy has stuff down to? :)
a tad smaller :) for a start I'd stick in --excludedocs