[CentOS-devel] CentOS artwork repository redesign proposal

Alain Reguera Delgado alain.reguera at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 15:45:23 UTC 2014

On 10/14/14, Jim Perrin <jperrin at centos.org> wrote:
> What is the workflow that you envision with this setup?

I envision a workflow where graphic designers only need to run a
command in order to propose variants of centos-logos packages (and
other visual manifestations) with their own artistic motifs and
normative specifications set by CentOS Project. For example:

1. Install the `idforge' package in your workstation. In this step you
install the automation scripts holding the standard procedures needed
to render and locale content.

2. Install the `idforge-models-centos' package in your workstation. In
this step you install the specifications provided by CentOS Project
needed to produce the centos-logos package and other visual
manifestations.

3. Run `idforge prepare ~/MyWorkdir'. In this step you create the
directory structure holding the configuration files idforge script
needs to render content. This makes possible to render several visual
manifestations by running just a single command.

4. Create your own artistic motif inside `~/Workdir/Motifs/Default'.
In this step the graphic designer uses tools like GIMP, Inkscape and
Blender to produce his/her artwork. By default, all final images
should be stored in `~/Workdir/Motifs/Default/Final' directory but
this can be customized using configuration files.

5. Run `idforge render ~/Workdir'. In this step you process
configuration files to combine artistic motifs and normative
specifications provided by CentOS Project. As result, you get branded
images with artistic motifs as background on them.

Initially, the files produced inside the working directory and the
source files used to create them are not under version control. This
might be useful in some circumstances but in others, it might be
useful to init a git repository for each of them under git.c.o as
well, so it is possible to establish contributions from several
graphic designers.

> From a packaging perspective ( the -logos package, wallpaper, and
> anaconda) we're essentially swapping or adding images.

Yes. The point is how and where we do this. Normally, someone uploads
the artwork somewhere public on Internet (e.g., wiki.c.o, git.c.o,
etc.) and then someone else downloads it from there to create the
package using it. Even though this works, it doesn't describes the
visual structure we need to rebuild the CentOS Project visual identity
every time a new major release of CentOS distribution is published. I
think it is necessary to describe our need first in order to be able
of facing it.

The setup I'm proposing tries to describe the visual structure of the
CentOS Project and distribute its construction based on community
efforts and normative specifications provided by the CentOS Project
itself.

> Similarly, for a user who wants to contribute a new desktop design idea,
> how do they contribute to this?
>
> I don't currently see how someone like Andrew would be able to
> contribute his addition and blender file into this setup easily.

The work of graphic designers is the cornerstone of the setup I'm
proposing. Graphic designers will be the ones proposing the next
visual style the CentOS Project corporate visual identity will have.
So it would be very good if they think about it when they propose
their works. They don't propose only background images but a visual
style that will be adopted as background in CentOS distribution,
documentation, promotion, websites and whatever visual manifestations
the CentOS Project defines inside idforge-models-centos package.

Also, graphic designers can contribute describing visual
manifestations inside idforge-models-centos package. The work of
graphic designers if very very important and we need a community
effort from them in order to succeed in our goal of providing a brand
new visual style for the CentOS Project corporate visual identity,
acceptably in time.

Best Regards,
al.