[CentOS-devel] centos-logos legal problem

Karsten Wade

kwade at redhat.com
Tue Dec 6 17:06:12 UTC 2016

On 11/30/2016 03:03 AM, Kouta Ikematsu wrote:
> Hello.
>
> centos-logos (included CentOS version 7) license tag is "All rights reserved".
>
> I see COPYING, This license is not permitted copy and redistribute except copyright/trademark written permission.
> because "permit copy and redistribute" statement is not find. but this license permit specific usage.
>
> I report bug report.
>
> https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=12269
>
> Is this is legal problem ?
> I think that this license is not allow copy, redistribute and mirror, It is legal problem.

Thanks for bringing this point up. I'll discuss here (rather than in the
bug report) because I agree that it's something we want to consider as a
community, and centos-devel is the best place for that discussion.

I think the key question is what do we want as a Project?

Is the idea that we want people to be able to copy and redistribute the
package as part of the OS without modifying it?

Should we have specific language about how it can be used with a rebuild
of CentOS? I.e., if someone modifies the CentOS source (even in just
rebuilding), what should they do with the centos-logos file?

(In the second case, they would not be allowed to call the resulting
rebuild CentOS Linux, so does it make sense that they should also be
required to leave behind the 'centos-logos' package?)

I'll go research what language we might need in the COPYING file to
address those as well as what is the best option for the License tag of
the RPM package as well.

Regards,

- Karsten
--