[CentOS-devel] Atomic SIG: discussion about kubernetes-node in downstream image

Jason Brooks

jbrooks at redhat.com
Tue Dec 13 17:25:48 UTC 2016

On Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 9:12 AM, Colin Walters <walters at verbum.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 6, 2016, at 12:55 PM, Jason Brooks wrote:
>
>> I want to discuss diverging from RHEL AH by not including the
>> kubernetes-node pkg in our downstream image. This would allow users to
>> install a newer version of the kubernetes-node, such as this 1.4.5
>> version from my copr[3] that I hope to see move into the virt-sig
>> soon.
>
> Right.  The disadvantage to this is...that people who have masters set
> up for 1.3 will need to use layering or a container for node.

If anyone wants a 1.3 master after downstream is released, they'll
need to use containers to run it, because we're shipping kube 1.2
right now, and we're set not to include the 1.3 master components in
the next downstream.

If we roll the 1.3 kubelet into the image, people could still run a
newer kubelet, but they'd have to use a container or separate binary
to do it.

Maybe it's not worth diverging at this point, but since the aims of
RHEL AH and of CentOS AH are somewhat different, esp wrt kubernetes,
which is now supported only in single node mode for RHEL AH, it's not
crazy for the package sets we deploy to be different. The actual rpms
wouldn't be diverging, just the selection of them.

> I'm uncertain, because it seems like a major point of CentOS Core
> builds is fidelity, even bug-for-bug, and this is a major difference.
>
> To be clear, you're just talking about -node, not etcd/flannel for example?

Right.