[CentOS-devel] What is the state of glusterfs-server on CentOS 6?

Mon Jun 18 12:36:26 UTC 2018
Kaleb S. KEITHLEY <kkeithle at redhat.com>

On 06/18/2018 08:08 AM, Carl T. Miller wrote:
> I'm a little confused about  the state of glusterfs-server on CentOS 6.
> It isn't supported with gluster 4, the current recommended version
> of gluster.

There are no glusterfs-server-4.x packages provided for CentOS6[1].

Besides the usual "run the latest version" advice, I'm not sure who is
saying GlusterFS-4.x is recommended. My advice — when you're setting up
a new cluster — is to install the latest available version for your
platform.

> I have an existing server with glusterfs-server 3.8.15-1 which had a
> hard drive crash.  So I'd like to rebuild the gluster environment on that
> server.  I see that centos-release-gluster38 is available, but I read some-
> where that it is no longer supported.

That's correct. GlusterFS-3.8 reached EOL on 2017-08-30[2]. That simply
means that if you have non-trivial problems with it, the first (only)
suggestion will be to update to a newer, supported, version.

> Also centos-release-gluster312
> is available, but I don't see any indication that it is still supported.

GlusterFS-3.12 has not reached EOL yet[2].

> Is the SIG providing any ongoing support beyond that which is provided
> by the gluster project?

The SIG only distributes RPMs, it does not provide support. _Support_
for community/upstream GlusterFS is available on the mailing list,
mailto:gluster-users at gluster.org, and on IRC in #gluster on Freenode.

> What is the current recommendation of the storage sig for running
> glusterfs-server on CentOS 6?

GlusterFS-3.12 is the only full, non-EOL version of GlusterFS for CentOS
6. [2] hasn't been updated yet to reflect that GlusterFS-3.10 has
reached EOL; even so, you can still install it, subject to the same
limitations outlined above.

[1] https://docs.gluster.org/en/latest/Install-Guide/Community_Packages/
[2] https://www.gluster.org/release-schedule/

--