[CentOS-devel] Centos Stream - src.rpms?

Akemi Yagi

amyagi at gmail.com
Sat Dec 26 19:21:44 UTC 2020

On Sat, Dec 26, 2020 at 12:28 AM Tetsuo Handa
<from-centos at i-love.sakura.ne.jp> wrote:

> On 2020/12/16 6:16, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> > All packages, except the kernel because of secureboot, are built
> > directly from git.centos.org from the c8s branch.
> >
> > For example .. (just picking a build at random):
> >
> > https://koji.mbox.centos.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=15034
>
> I'm waiting for telnet-0.17-75.el8 to be released because one of RHEL customers needs it.
> While I can find it at https://koji.mbox.centos.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=14800 , the download link
> https://koji.mbox.centos.org/pkgs/packages/telnet/0.17/75.el8/x86_64/telnet-server-0.17-75.el8.x86_64.rpm
> is "HTTP 403 Forbidden". That keeps me away from helping QA using my environment. If the customer can
> download telnet-server-0.17-75.el8.x86_64.rpm , the customer would be able to help QA using the customer's
> environment.
>
> It seems that any download link for *.rpm returns 403. Why?

Hi Tetsuo (熊猫さん),

Jim Perrin, who was a CentOS dev at that time, wrote in his post (1),

"A couple reasons for this. Just because things build doesn't mean
they're ready. We sometimes need to iterate builds, and having people
pulling packages direct from the build system makes supporting this
challenging, especially if they have a matching NVR build that's not the
right one. The packages may or may not be signed yet, depending on when
someone tries to pull from koji. We'd prefer people wait for the actual
release when we're sure everything is right. Lastly, the builders aren't
on mirrored systems, so there's a bandwidth cost from people attempting
to pull directly. The administrative block solves all 3 of these issues."

Regarding telnet, dnf seems to find it on my test CStream box:

$ sudo dnf list telnet-server
Last metadata expiration check: 1:02:53 ago on Sat 26 Dec 2020 10:07:12 AM PST.
Available Packages
telnet-server.x86_64       1:0.17-75.el8           Stream-AppStream

Akemi / toracat

(1) https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2019-October/036167.html