[CentOS-devel] RFC (Request for Comments) : future of bugs.centos.org

Tue Apr 18 12:35:21 UTC 2023
Fabian Arrotin <arrfab at centos.org>

On 29/03/2023 09:17, Fabian Arrotin wrote:
> On 27/02/2023 15:55, Stephen Smoogen wrote:
>>

>> On Mon, 27 Feb 2023 at 03:12, Fabian Arrotin <arrfab at centos.org
>> <mailto:arrfab at centos.org>> wrote:
>>
>>     Let's discuss https://bugs.centos.org <https://bugs.centos.org> !
>>
>>     For a long time, we used to only have one public tracker , powered by
>>     MantisBT (https://mantisbt.org/ <https://mantisbt.org/>) , and it
>>     was https://bugs.centos.org <https://bugs.centos.org>
>>
>>     Due to various changes in the CentOS ecosystem in the last years,
>> some
>>     categories were removed/migrated elsewhere :
>>
>>     - CentOS infra tracker : https://pagure.io/centos-infra/issues
>>     <https://pagure.io/centos-infra/issues>
>>     - CentOS Stream : https://bugzilla.redhat.com
>>     <https://bugzilla.redhat.com>
>>
>>     Some other SIGs also started to have (and document) their own tracker
>>     (see https://wiki.centos.org/ReportBugs
>>     <https://wiki.centos.org/ReportBugs>)
>>
>>     So the question is : while we can easily migrate bugs.centos.org
>>     <http://bugs.centos.org> to el9,
>>     should we ?
>>
>>     All comments/remarks are welcome, and let's have a plan about what
>> to do
>>

>> I think it would be best to sunset this by locking and keeping the
>> system as read-only after the 2024 end of CentOS Stream 8 and CentOS
>> 7. At that point it can be scraped and put on archive.org
>> <http://archive.org> or something similar and 'removed' with a 'thank
>> you for your hard work'.
>

> Not a lot of momentum/traction on this thread, so that summarizes it all
> I guess :)
> It's true that https://bugs.centos.org isn't even used at all by centos
> stream team , nor infra team so I just intend to decommission it
> entirely ASAP, and I'll just send mail when I'll do that (as hypervisor
> on which that VM is running needs also be reinstalled). I don't see a
> benefit in moving that VM/service is nobody is using it and keeping it
> running on c7 until 2024 when we'll just shut it down anyway.
>
> So, famous last words : "speak now or stay quiet forever" :)

FWIW, I'll shutdown that service/instance in two weeks from now, remove
it from DNS and we can then update https://wiki.centos.org/ReportBugs
(itself disappearing soon) to reflect that it will be either Stream
related (so going to bugzilla.redhat.com) or infra related (and so on
pagure.io/centos-infra/issues)

--
Fabian Arrotin
gpg key: 17F3B7A1 | @arrfab[@fosstodon.org]