[CentOS-devel] Discussion: Open technical questions concerning SIG content for RHEL releases

Tue Apr 4 11:58:35 UTC 2023
Fabian Arrotin <arrfab at centos.org>

On 03/04/2023 19:03, Peter Georg wrote:
> (Second) gentle reminder that the second question below has not been
> addressed yet. Any thoughts? Thanks for taking your time!
>
> It'd also be helpful if anybody can provide any information on who I
> need to ping to get a decision on that matter. Thanks!
>
> On 27/01/2023 12.38, Peter Georg wrote:
>> Gentle reminder that the second question below has not been addressed
>> yet. Any thoughts? Thanks for taking your time.
>>

>> On 15/12/2022 00.04, Peter Georg wrote:
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>> <snip>
>>>
>>> The second open question concerns the centos-release-* packages
>>> provided by SIGs to allow users to easily consume SIGs' content. For
>>> 8s and 9s the CBS tags
>>> extras<el>-extras-common-{candidate,testing,release} are used to
>>> build these packages. This repository is added in CentOS Stream 8 and 9.
>>> For packages build for RHEL 8 and 9 there is currently no common way
>>> to provide any means of easing the process to consume SIGs' content.
>>> My proposal to fix this is by adding
>>> extras<el>-extras-common-{candidate,testing,release} for <el> = 8 and
>>> 9, i.e., using the same system as currently used for 8s and 9s.
>>>
>>> To further ease the process I propose to introduce a package named
>>> centos-release-extras which contains the repository config pointing
>>> to the content of the tags extras<el>-extras-common-{testing,release}
>>> (only -release enabled by default) and the CentOS-SIG-Extras GPG key.
>>> The centos-release-extras packages itself would be built in the
>>> extras<el>-extras-common-el<el> build target. Users of RHEL would
>>> then only need to install this single package to allow them to easily
>>> install any other centos-release-* packages. Obviously someone needs
>>> to maintain the centos-release-extras package. I volunteer to
>>> maintain this package.
>>>

>>> [1]: https://git.centos.org/centos/board/issue/82
>>> [2]: https://pagure.io/centos-infra/issue/1002

I'm not "authoritative" to answer that question, but why not simply just
build your -release package in your tag, and let it go to mirror in that
repository ? people using RHEL (or a rebuild) can just get it from
there, the same way that people using RHEL are consuming EPEL   : point
to a mirror for the -release package and that's it ?
(https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/epel/#_el9)

Just my two cents :)

--
Fabian Arrotin