[CentOS-devel] Alternative Images SIG meeting notes

Thu Feb 23 20:49:25 UTC 2023
Josh Boyer <jwboyer at redhat.com>

On Thu, Feb 23, 2023 at 3:02 PM Troy Dawson <tdawson at redhat.com> wrote:

> * Image build systems: kiwi / livecd
>   * Tags and targets are now in CBS.  We are now able to build images
>     * Thanks to all those that did that work
>
>   * We are not able to publish to the mirrors yet
>     * https://pagure.io/centos-infra/issue/1039
>
>   * !! Help is needed creating rpm-ostree stuff in kiwi !!
>     * https://github.com/OSInside/kiwi/issues/38

We already have tools that can generate rpm-ostree images.  We have
entire projects and even products built around these tools.  It seems
odd to call for help adding it to another tool when you could just use
the tools that already exist.

I mention this because the focus of the SIG as it was proposed to the
Board was to generate Alternative images.  It wasn't a SIG focused on
enhancing kiwi.  I would think the core mission can be accomplished
without stalling on a tool that doesn't work for some of these image
types.

josh