[CentOS-devel] Fedora ELN architecture baseline preparation for CentOS Stream 10

Thu Mar 16 18:16:14 UTC 2023
Josh Boyer <jwboyer at redhat.com>

On Mon, Mar 13, 2023 at 12:27 PM Fred <fred.fredex at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm just wondering how (or if) AMD processors map into this issue...

The v1, v2, v3 baselines are defined based on the x86_64 instructions
available within that family.  AMD CPUs certainly fall into this, and
you can see an overview here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64

> Not just the recent (last several years) CPUs, but earlier ones that implement AMD64, such as the Vishera (which I'm still running).
>
> Whatever it is doing, Rocky 9 64bit seems to run fine on it, but I wonder how I will fare in the future.

As best I can tell, Vishera is a v2 compliant microarchitecture.  RHEL
9 has a v2 baseline so Rocky 9 working sounds like what I would
expect.  The v3 baseline bump would mean that specific CPU won't work
with ELN/CentOS Stream 10/RHEL 10.  v3 starts with circa 2015 or newer
CPU models.

josh