[CentOS-devel] RFC (Request for Comments) : future of forums.centos.org

Wed Mar 29 07:23:16 UTC 2023
Fabian Arrotin <arrfab at centos.org>

On 28/02/2023 10:30, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 27, 2023 at 7:01 AM Stephen Smoogen <ssmoogen at redhat.com
> <mailto:ssmoogen at redhat.com>> wrote:
>

>     On Mon, 27 Feb 2023 at 03:19, Fabian Arrotin <arrfab at centos.org
>     <mailto:arrfab at centos.org>> wrote:
>
>         Let's chat about forums.centos.org <http://forums.centos.org> !
>
>         IMHO, that service can be easily moved to a newer OS/PHP stack
>         and so
>         continue to run. But on the other hand, I heard rumors that some
>         forums
>         moderators would like to stop maintaining/moderating it after 2024.
>
>         I also heard that there is now a centos category on fedora
>         discourse
>         (https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/c/centos/71
>         <https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/c/centos/71>)
>
>         So while we (centos infra) can easily migrate that server,
>         should we ?
>

>     I think the moderators have been pretty clear in different venues
>     that they are done with this when CentOS 7 end of lifes.
>

> That is correct.
>
> Akemi

Hey Akemi,

so the question is now : do we just want to keep it running for one year
, and so just decommission it in June 2024 ? In the meantime, I guess
Shaun can see about centos section on Fedora discourse and start
promoting it ?
That way people will be aware in advance that the new place to discuss
"centos stream" related things will be on discourse and so that we can
just shutdown old forums.centos.org service.
Fabian Arrotin
gpg key: 17F3B7A1 | @arrfab[@fosstodon.org]