[CentOS-devel] RFC (Request for Comments) : future of forums.centos.org

Wed Mar 29 18:04:23 UTC 2023
Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com>

On Wed, Mar 29, 2023 at 12:23 AM Fabian Arrotin <arrfab at centos.org> wrote:

> On 28/02/2023 10:30, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 27, 2023 at 7:01 AM Stephen Smoogen <ssmoogen at redhat.com
> > <mailto:ssmoogen at redhat.com>> wrote:
> >

> >     On Mon, 27 Feb 2023 at 03:19, Fabian Arrotin <arrfab at centos.org
> >     <mailto:arrfab at centos.org>> wrote:
> >
> >         Let's chat about forums.centos.org <http://forums.centos.org> !
> >
> >         IMHO, that service can be easily moved to a newer OS/PHP stack
> >         and so
> >         continue to run. But on the other hand, I heard rumors that some
> >         forums
> >         moderators would like to stop maintaining/moderating it after
> 2024.
> >
> >         I also heard that there is now a centos category on fedora
> >         discourse
> >         (https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/c/centos/71
> >         <https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/c/centos/71>)
> >
> >         So while we (centos infra) can easily migrate that server,
> >         should we ?
> >

> >     I think the moderators have been pretty clear in different venues
> >     that they are done with this when CentOS 7 end of lifes.
> >

> > That is correct.
> >
> > Akemi
> >

> Hey Akemi,
>
> so the question is now : do we just want to keep it running for one year
> , and so just decommission it in June 2024 ? In the meantime, I guess
> Shaun can see about centos section on Fedora discourse and start
> promoting it ?
> That way people will be aware in advance that the new place to discuss
> "centos stream" related things will be on discourse and so that we can
> just shutdown old forums.centos.org service.
> --
> --
> Fabian Arrotin
> The CentOS Project | https://www.centos.org
> gpg key: 17F3B7A1 | @arrfab[@fosstodon.org]

Hi Fabian,

I'd like to keep the forum running until the C7 EOL because it is still
getting a fair amount of new posts.

However, it's not me that would make any suggestion on this subject. It
should be Trevor. He has been taking care of >90% of the forum posts. :-)

Akemi