[CentOS-docs] CentOS wiki/web changes

Wed Sep 17 12:34:02 UTC 2008

Dag Wieers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A few things I would like to see fixed in the short term:
>
>  + Simplifying the frontpage. I gave a rationale on my blog why I think
>    the frontpage should be more simple an structured. You can see the
>    proposal here:
>
>     http://wiki.centos.org/FrontPageProposal
>
>    Ralph already criticized that there is too much text and I tend to
>    agree. I would prefer to see an image instead and maybe a matrix of
>    images. Maybe this is something for the Artwork team ?
>
>    But next to the Frontpage we need decent subpages that structure eg.
>    the Documentation or the Contribute section better. So we could need
>    some help in that as well.
>

>  + Improving the various download pages. At the moment the wiki Download
>    page is a collection of links to static HTML pages that do not fit the
>    rest of the wiki:
>
>     http://isoredirect.centos.org/centos/5/isos/i386/
>
>    I would like to propose that the Artwork team puts this on the list of
>    things TODO so that those download pages are restyled.
>

>  + Then there is the Donations link on the website. I now copied the
>    content over to the wiki and modified it slightly. We probably should
>    rethink the page wrt. donations and give some compelling reasons what
>    we need money for and how it is important to have a firm project in
>    place.

Whats the aim of creating duplicate content and thereby creating more
legacy ?

>    We could have some other intiatives to bring in money, like
>    CentOS-branded stuff we could sell, sell expensive CD/DVD media
>    (invoiced) etc... If we offer those on the donations page, people might
>    be more compelled to donate.
>
> Any opinions ?

Not on the topics right now, will look at the wiki in a bit more detail
and offer comments on these issues. But one thing that I would like to
see, is that the news is removed from the wiki frontpage. the wiki does
not get enough attention and has zero mechanism for rotating content.
That sort of stuff really should be on the website.

eg. its funny that the planet.centos.org link is still on the wiki,
while the service has been going for a very long time.

Also, whats being done about addressing stale content on the wiki ?
there are quite a few orphaned pages now in the mix, and they seem to
get almost no attention...