[CentOS-docs] www.centos.org and the wildcard dns

Fri Apr 16 14:57:05 UTC 2010

hi guys,

At the moment there is a www.centos.org site. There is also a wildcard
dns setup that directs anything.centos.org to www.centos.org's content

This has a couple of 'issues' with SEO and google sepcifically. The
reason we have such low page rank is that google marks all of this as
duplicate content. I am sure there are other search engines that do as
well ( Bing has a policy of marking down duplicates as well ).

So, what I'd like to propose is to either drop the wildcard dns
completely, or setup a new vhost for the wildcard that isnt
www.centos.org. What we could then do is either present people with a
list of options on destinations they might be interested in. eg:

- www.centos.org
- wiki.centos.org
- bugs.centos.org
- mirror.centos.org