[CentOS-docs] HowTos/JavaOnCentOS Wiki page revision?

Sun Jan 16 16:26:34 UTC 2011
Ralph Angenendt <ralph.angenendt at gmail.com>

Am 16.01.11 15:15, schrieb Manuel Wolfshant:
> On 01/16/2011 04:03 PM, Phil Schaffner wrote:

>> If this approach is accepted I would be glad to help draft the cover
>> page, and to help with polishing sub-pages; having over the years dealt
>> with JDK via Sun(Oracle) RPMs, building JDK via the Jpackage approach,
>> and simple JRE/plugin installations.
> Your idea looks fine to me. The existing page is so obsolete that I
> never pointed anyone to it during the last year... I always suggested
> "download Sun's rpm, install, go live your life"

I'm fine with that. Java is completely over my horizon, regarding usage.
If it doesn't run with openjdk, I normally don't run it, neither on
servers nor on desktops.

So that probably leaves two instructions (well, three) for that page:

a) Use openjdk (if on 5, 6)
b) Use SUN JDK/JRE if the above does not work for you, here's how to do
   it.
c) Use jpackage nosrc.rpms if you insist on compliance to FHS

For b) and c) stress that people *must* care about updates for themselves.

Bonus points: Here's how to use Java in your browser. Especially stress
the update issue here.

Do I see that correctly?

Ralph