[CentOS-gsocadmin] GSoC organization application (round 1)

Mon Mar 2 23:09:57 UTC 2009
Marcus Moeller <mm at gcug.de>

Good Evening.

This is a first draft of point 1 and 2 of the GSoC organization application:

1. About CentOS:

CentOS stands for Community ENTerprise Operating System [1]. It is an
operating system that is based on the publicly available source code
of Red Hat Enterprise Linux which is released under the terms of the
GNU General Public License and other open licenses.

The CentOS releases are very similar to Red Hat Enterprise Linux and
tries to be 100% binary compatible with the upstream product. Artwork
and other Red Had trademarks are removed, because Red Hat does not
allow them to be used for redistribution [2].

In comparison with Red Hat's binary enterprise distribution, CentOS is
freely available for download and use.

As most enterprise distributions, CentOS does not contain the latest
cutting-edge software, but several software repositories hold later
versions and additional packages.

[1] http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=2
[2] https://www.redhat.com/about/companyprofile/trademark/

2. Why are we applying to be an GSoC organization?

We are applying to become an GSoC organization because we would
welcome help with improving the build process and end user experience
of the CentOS projects. There are many aspects of the distribution
like package management, ...

Best Regards
Marcus