[CentOS-gsocadmin] short self intro

Tue Mar 3 17:32:09 UTC 2009
Ned Slider <ned at unixmail.co.uk>

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> hi,
>
> can we all please post a short self-intro here. Just so that everyone
> knows who the other people on the admin/mentor list are

Hi,

I'm Ned (real name: Phil Perry), and am based in the UK.

http://wiki.centos.org/NedSlider

I come from an academic background being a scientist (like a few at
CentOS). I started using UNIX (SGI IRIX) around 15 years ago and then
Linux (RHL7.x) around 8 years ago. I did the RHL -> FC3 route before
discovering CentOS-4. I'm not a programmer/developer (and as such I
don't consider myself qualified to act in a mentoring role for GSoC),
I'm more a user with an inquisitive mind who likes to tinker and further
his understanding of how things work. Coming from an academic background
I am a firm believer in openness and sharing of knowledge, and seek to
promote these principles.

My activity within CentOS is primarily as a forum admin/moderator and
Wiki contributor/editor (although I am always seeking to widen the scope
of my involvements). My only previous involvement with open source
projects was with the BOINC/SETI projects (UCB) where I worked on
compiler optimizations building the first optimized BOINC and SETI
clients for Linux.