[Centos] Postfix on Centos3.3

Thu Dec 16 00:44:57 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-15 at 16:18 -0800, Michael Rock wrote:
> Hi, as far as security advisories from Redhat I only
> see the last update to Postfix being 9/2/04
> 2.0.16-14.RHEL3.

That is what I am using.

> Centos3.3 however added a newer version that I am
> currently using which matches the last 2.0 version
> official release at postfix.org.
> /pub/cAos/centos-3/3.3/contrib/i386/RPMS/
> postfix-2.0.20-1.centos3.1
That is a contrib package ... meaning someone other than the official
CentOS maintainers provided it.  It is NOT the official CentOS-3

> Since I am running this as my public smtp server it
> makes me wonder why Redhat has not moved to Postfix
> 2.1 which is the latest official release.
RedHat has a policy of backporting fixes ... see this link:

> Anyone have a opinion whether it is safe to stick with
> Redhats Postfix's release on a public smtp server or
> should I move to 2.1?

RedHat's official versions are (in my opinion) the best from a security

> thx
> -- Mike

Johnny Hughes