[Centos] 3ware 9000 install

Sun Dec 19 22:14:06 UTC 2004
Seth Bardash <seth at integratedsolutions.org>

The driver install disks (floppy Image) we posted were for 32 bit CentOS 3.3
(Kernel 2.4.21-20) for 32 bit machines based on the "i686 athlon"
architecture ONLY.

Your architecture can be found by running uname -a

Ours reads:

Linux pos1 2.4.21-15.0.4.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed Aug 4 13:29:51 EDT 2004 i686
athlon i386 GNU/Linux

For our whitebox web test machine named "pos1"

With that said here is how to get your dual Xeon machine working correctly:

Boot the machine using the up (uniprocessor - one processor) kernel that
comes up but says the driver is built for the wrong kernel ( we used
whitebox to build the driver but the kernel is the same and will work fine
). The boot process will give you a warning about a tainted driver but will
work OK

Download the latest 3w-9xxx.tgz source code file from www.3ware.com

Put this in a directory somewhere and run from that directory: tar -xzvf
<filename>

This will uncompress and untar the source files.

Next you need to set up the kernel source tree.

	Install the kernel source from rpm if its not already there

	cd /usr/src/"kernel-rev" ("kernel-rev" is the directory where the
source was installed)
	edit the Makefile and change the line that reads: (4 th line down)
		EXTRAVERSION = -15.0.4.El.c0custom

		To the kernel extension of your smp system:

		Something like : EXTRAVERSION = -15.0.4.El.c0smp

	make mrproper
	make oldconfig
	make dep
	make clean

	The kernel source tree is now set up for your smp kernel

This will create a file "3w-9xxx.smp"

You will need to copy this into the
/lib/modules/2.4.21-15.0.4.EL.c0smp/kernel/drivers/scsi directory and rename
it "3w-9xxx.o"

There should be an extry in /etc/modules.conf that reads: alias
scsi_hostadapter 3w-9xxx

If not add it at the beginning. If you have other SCSI adapters in the
system already you will need to set this alias up correctly with a number
after it - ie: alias scsi_hostadapterX where X is the correct number, no
number for SCSI0.

Once this is done you will need to run mkinitrd to create a new initrd
image.
The command will look something like this:

	mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.4.21-15.0.4.EL.c0smp_test.img
2.4.21-15.0.4.EL.c0smp

This will put a file into /boot called
"initrd-2.4.21-15.0.4.EL.c0smp_test.img"

Now edit your /boot/grub/grub.conf file and copy the whole smp entry and
paste it below the existing entry.
Change the title line to something like test_smp and change the initrd entry
to the new initrd file name.
Reboot and see if you select the test_smp entry if the machine boots
properly.
If it does then you can use the new initrd image in place of the old one and
your all set to go.

If this is too complicated then you will need to research the above process,
become familiar with it. Google is your friend. Also look at the
/usr/src/kernel-rev/Documentation directory for lots of helpful information
in the text files.

We don't have a dual xeon machine sitting around to do this for you or I
would have just done it and put the driver into a boot disk floppy image.

We don't sell many dual xeons any more because the dual opteron systems cost
less and provide much more performance.

The above procedure is in the 3ware release notes with some modifications
but it is complex and requires a significant knowledge of driver building
and a lot of basic linux know-how.

Read through this a few times to get familiar with it. ALWAYS make copies of
any file you are going to modify or change to help recover from a bad edit.

If all else fails call us. We will walk you through it.

Best,

Seth Bardash

Integrated Solutions and Systems
1510 North Gate Road