[CentOS] Caching nameserver -- Name Services Cache Daemon (nscd)

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 17:08:52 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 11:45, William Warren wrote:
> All my machines except one are windows 2000 professional machines.  The
> other is winme(for my daughter's older games).  I think i managed to
> screw up my BIND configs though.  erasing and reinstalling Bind is not
> fixing it.  What files does everyone want posted so this issue can get
> fixed?
>
> I could easily just reload the system..but that's the winders way of
> doing things..:)

I'd try
rpm -e bind
 (assuming that /etc/resolv.conf points at your other namesever for now)
Make sure that /etc/named.conf and /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf
are gone, then
yum install bind

Then make sure that /etc/named.conf installs as a symlink pointing
to /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf and edit in the forward
statements pointing to your gateway dns server.  Then
service named start
and look in /var/log/messages for any errors.

Note that local DNS resolution is controlled by /etc/resolv.conf
regardless of whether you have named running or not, so test
with
dig @localhost
then pointing some other boxes at it.  When you are sure it is
working you can change resolv.conf to use the local server.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com