[CentOS] OT: question on setting up an email server

Sudev Barar sudev at mantraonline.com
Mon Jun 20 06:04:07 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-06-19 at 23:22 -0500, Jimmy Bradley wrote:
> I'm really doing it for the learning part of it. If Bellsouth's smtp
> server is down when I need to send an email, I just turn to either
> yahoo, or hotmail, and write and send my email from there.
>   The machine that I'm using is a Dell Poweredge 2300 with 3 9.1 scuzzy
> hard drives. The machine was givien to me, and it's somewhat outdated.
> All it has in it is a 500mghrtz single processor, so if I do something
> wrong and the machine implodes, I'm not out any cash.

Jumping in....

Scenario: Even if Bell provides service and you are running only one
account setting up a local email server can help que traffic and send it
out once the dial up occurs.

Scenario: There are two or three (or many more) users in the local
network trying to share a single connection. Local mail server here is
helpful in sending and retrieving mail on regular basis and leave the
users not having to worry about connectivity.

AND it is a good learning experience.

You can talk to your service provider and see if they give out sub-
domains? Else you can register either domain (slightly expensive) or
sub-domain (slightly less so) with service providers. Just google and
you will come up with more that handful. Personally I have been using
NetworkSolutions (expensive).

But if you setup domain MX record pointing to your server then it has to
be on line always. Alternative is to point a higher MX record number to
another server hosted somewhere else. OOOooooo. I think I am jumping the
gun a little here and jumping into how to setup while you still have to
decide on point one.
--
Sudev Barar
Learning Linux