[CentOS] Subversion: 400 Bad request error

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Fri Aug 11 16:32:40 UTC 2006

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006, Jean Figarella wrote:

> Here is my problem,
> On my network there is a subversion server to which everybody connects to and
> checks in/out code and documents. The workstations on the network are all
> based on Fedora core 3. And everybody's home directory is on a nfs share. This
> nfs share is mounted via the fstab. So no matter to which box a user logs in,
> his/her home dir is gonna be the same.
>
> Again, /home is a nfs mounted dir. Now, if I am on Fedora and I cd into
> /home/jean/dev/ for exmaple, and then I do svn update everything works fine.
> But if I do the same on centos 4.3; cd /home/jean/dev and then svn update, it
> gives me this error:
>
> bash-3.00$ cd ~/dev/sysadmin/
> bash-3.00$ svn update
> svn: REPORT request failed on '/svn/code/!svn/vcc/default'
> svn: REPORT of '/svn/code/!svn/vcc/default': 400 Bad Request
> (https://subversion)
> bash-3.00$
> bash-3.00$ cd /local/new_dev/sysadmin/
> bash-3.00$ svn update
> At revision 30009.
> bash-3.00$

On the CentOS box, can you cleanly check out a copy of the repository
to somewhere else in your NFS-mounted home directory? E.g.,

mkdir ~/svn-tmp
cd ~/svn-tmp
svn co [...]

If so, I'd be interested to compare the output of 'svn info' from the
test checkout with that of the one in ~/dev.

> The subversion version on Fedora is 1.2.1 and in centos 4.3 it is
> 1.1.4. I have already tried upgrading to the same subversion version
> and to more recent ones, and that did not work.
>
> I am thinking that maybe this is not a subversion error because I
> can sucessfully use it from fedora 3 anf 5, and debian. I think it
> has to do with CentOS. I was looking to upgrade all of the FC3 boxes
> in my network to CentOS (about 30 of them), but with this problem
> Ill have to stick with Fedora.

The presence of the near-ancient Subversion 1.1.4 in RHEL 4/CentOS 4
is a constant sore spot around my workplace. I feel your pain. :-)

--
Paul Heinlein <> heinlein at madboa.com <> www.madboa.com