[CentOS] Flash streams sound distorted

fredex fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sun Aug 20 22:07:35 UTC 2006

On Sun, Aug 20, 2006 at 03:12:48PM -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On 8/20/06, fredex <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us> wrote:
> >Hi gang!
> >
> >I'm hoping for some advice here,...
> >
> >I've been having this problem for a while and have come to the point where
> >I need someone else's guidance/suggestions/help...
> >
> >I'm running a Cenotos-4 system. It was originally a TAO Linux-1 system,
> >that was upgraded to Tao-4, and subsequently switched (via yum, using the
> >procedure created by the Tao maintainer with--I assume--assitance from the
> >Centos maintainers) to Centos-4.
> >

> I have seen this issue with some sound-cards.. what is the sound card
> you are using, what are the options that are in /etc/modprobe.conf,
> and what is your other hardware (memory, cpu, chipset.)

NOTE that all sound is fine EXCEPT FOR FLASH.

> There are 3 reasons I have found for sound changes:
> 1) Chipset issues that can be corrected with a bios update (if the
> sound is embedded). The newer kernel driver expects certain access to
> the hardware and the BIOS needs a kick.

It's a Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2 (rev2) Athlon motherboard, with builtin
sound support. It USED to work...

It has the latest BIOS available (7n400p2.fk)

Here's /etc/modules.conf:

	alias usb-controller usb-ohci
	alias usb-controller1 ehci-hcd
	alias sound-slot-0 i810_audio
	post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
	pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
	alias eth0 r8169

	# I2C module options
	alias char-major-89 i2c-dev

	# it8212 raid controller
	#alias block-major-8 iteraid
	alias char-major-195 nvidia

> 2) Chipset issues that need an updated kernel module. ALSA changes are
> a major issue. I had to keep getting dkms modules for my sound card
> for a while because the newer ALSA covered the card but the kernel
> didnt.

According to the MB manual, the sound is "realtek ALC655 CODEC".

Here's the output of lsmod:

	# lsmod
	Module                  Size  Used by
	vfat                   14529  0
	fat                    44001  1 vfat
	usb_storage            60297  0
	nls_utf8                2113  0
	tun                     9153  0
	smbfs                  66361  0
	nvidia               3926908  12
	it87                   19817  0
	i2c_sensor              3521  1 it87
	i2c_isa                 2241  0
	lp                     12077  0
	md5                     4033  1
	ipv6                  235137  20
	autofs4                24773  0
	i2c_dev                11329  0
	i2c_core               22081  4 it87,i2c_sensor,i2c_isa,i2c_dev
	vmnet                  37532  8
	parport_pc             24577  1
	parport                37129  2 lp,parport_pc
	vmmon                 110724  0
	sunrpc                162725  1
	dm_mod                 57557  0
	button                  6481  0
	battery                 8901  0
	ac                      4805  0
	joydev                 10241  0
	ohci_hcd               21713  0
	ehci_hcd               30917  0
	shpchp                 82373  0
	snd_intel8x0           33897  1
	snd_ac97_codec         63889  1 snd_intel8x0
	snd_pcm_oss            49017  0
	snd_mixer_oss          17985  1 snd_pcm_oss
	snd_pcm                96841  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm_oss
	snd_timer              29893  1 snd_pcm
	snd_page_alloc          9673  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
	snd_mpu401_uart         8769  1 snd_intel8x0
	snd_rawmidi            26597  1 snd_mpu401_uart
	snd_seq_device          8137  1 snd_rawmidi
	snd                    55461  11 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device
	soundcore               9889  1 snd
	r8169                  19657  0
	floppy                 58481  0
	ext3                  116809  5
	jbd                    71385  1 ext3
	sata_nv                 9285  0
	libata                 56477  1 sata_nv
	sd_mod                 17217  0
	scsi_mod              121933  3 usb_storage,libata,sd_mod

> 3) Flash is optimized for Flash-9 and doesnt sound good in Flash-7

No solution for this one, I guess?