[CentOS] Centosplus & CentOS Extras, Enlarge your tent

Sanjay Arora sanjay.k.arora at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 16:39:07 UTC 2006

What I'd like to see in Centosplus is a rpm of Xen, that is stable and
pre-tested with Centos and seamlessly changes the Centos
Server/Workstation. I have tinkered with a knoppix 4 version with xen
built into the kernel, but when it comes to the decision of building a
XENized kernel and then daring to deploy on my sole web-server, my
breath jams in my throat ;-(

In addition, I believe its time when Centos has a wiki which shows
less experienced users like me, how to do something, posted by those
who have attempted and done something with centos. Each of these wiki
threads could end up becoming centos how-tos. Topics could range from
installing Xen, GFS, hardening security, doing minimal installs,
installing asterisk or other voip, plone, drupal or other CMS or blogs
or even installing codecs for audio-video that don't come
pre-installed.

In the enterprise, there's always a repungence to trying something
untested or rather on your own, especially like less experienced
users, especially those with shoe-string budget. The reassurance of
walking on a well-trodden path with road-signs given to you, is a
great plus in deciding to do something with Centos.

I agree, all these how-tos are out there, all one needs to do is
Google and one would find N number of How-tos but most of time they
refer to a different distribution and one has to go through the
painful process of learning the pecularities of other linuses (linuxes
?) and adapting them to the one we use, namely Enterprise Linux or
Centos.

Maybe its the effect of commerce but most of literature on the net is
not adapted to enterprise linux, at least that's my experience...your
milage may vary! I think Centos community leaders should look a little
in this issue & debate and then maybe implement something around these
lines. Enablement of Enterprise Applications around the stable Centos
Core shuld be the path ahead.

Just my two rupees worth ;-) I belong to India, so can't give in US cents ;-)

With regards.
Sanjay.