[CentOS] Problem with driver disk on amd64

Fabian Arrotin fabian.arrotin at arrfab.net
Wed Dec 12 10:16:26 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 09:03 +0100, Fridtjof Busse wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a really strange problem with a driver disk
> (http://wiki.centos.org/HardwareList/RealTekRTL8111b) on amd64.
> I'm remotly booting the system via isolinux-files, so I unfortunatly
> do not have access to relevant logs, all I can see the the primary
> console/screen.
> With i386, the driver disk works just fine and I can install via http.
> But with amd64, the installer complains no driver for the hardware
> could be found, which again keeps me from installing the system.
> Due to the lack of RTL8111 hardware, I cannot debug this locally
> either.
> Does anybody have an idea what might be wrong?
>
> Thanks.

I've just installed today a server from Hetzner.de (on a AMD Athlon x2
x86_64) using this card in blind mode and it's working with the supplied
driver disk on the wiki ...
How can you tell that 'installer complains no driver for the hardware
could be found' if you don't have console access ?
just to be sure : what's the result of lspci -v
mine :
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Unknown device
368c
        I/O ports at d800 [size=256]
        Memory at feaff000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
        [virtual] Expansion ROM at 80000000 [disabled] [size=128K]
        Capabilities: [48] Vital Product Data
        Capabilities: [50] Message Signalled Interrupts: 64bit+
Queue=0/1 Enable-
        Capabilities: [60] Express Endpoint IRQ 0
        Capabilities: [84] Vendor Specific Information

--
Fabian Arrotin <fabian.arrotin at arrfab.net>
Solution ?