[CentOS] HP DL585 G2 -- no nics

John Hinton webmaster at ew3d.com
Tue Mar 20 05:43:42 UTC 2007

David Mackintosh wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I've just spent about six hours messing around with an HP DL585 G2
> server trying to get CentOS to go.
>
> This box is a dual-CPU with dual cores and 10GB of RAM total.
> According to the datasheet, the POST screens, and the BIOS, it has
> the Broadcom embedded NICs in it.
>
> The problem boils down to the installed OS (4.4 x86_64) not seeing
> the NICs.  If you do an lspci on the system after installing from
> local media the only unknown device is one of the built-in hardware
> health monitors.  And since the NICs don't show up in the pci table,
> there's nothing for the drivers I downloaded from the HP website to
> hook to.
>
> What's interesting is that in the process of trying to get this thing
> going I've installed two old (2002 vintage) 3Com 905cxl PCI cards in
> the system -- again, the BIOS (or whatever the built in hardware
> diagnostics program is called) sees them, but the running OS does not.
>
> This implies I've done or missed something trivially stupid, and
> after banging my head against this box and the monumentally unhelpful
> HP "documentation" I was wondering if someone had been down this road
> before.
>
> Any insights would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks!

Have you run the HP/Compaq SmartStart CD? It lets you configure system
BIOSs. If this was a used machine, it is possible that the previous
owner may have disabled the onboard nics.. perhaps to run some other
hardware in its place.

The CDs are available at hp.com. Try to pick one that is dated about the
same as the machine you are working with, or you might waste a lot of
download time to find the version is too new.

Best,
John Hinton <how has about 6 different versions of smartstart laying around>