[CentOS] Duplicate PV on HW RAID?

Eduardo Grosclaude eduardo.grosclaude at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 18:31:06 UTC 2008

Ross, Nate, Tony, thanks for your promptly response

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 2:51 PM, nate <centos at linuxpowered.net> wrote:

> Eduardo Grosclaude wrote:
>
> > 4) Rebooted the installed system. Now "Duplicate PV" shows at boot.
> Honestly
>
> To me it sounds likely that the raid controller is shitty and
> is presenting two sets of devices to the OS, one likely being
> the "RAID" device and the other a more generic device(s).
>
> What does 'dmesg' say? Do you see more devices than you think
> you should have on the system?

dmesg says nothing about this, the message only appears at console when
booting or otherwise using the PVs:

[root at myserver ~]# pvs
  Found duplicate PV 8D7K2wg15HqD0l9HxZCz7QlDfpqJOhXT: using /dev/sdb2 not
/dev/sda2
  PV         VG         Fmt  Attr PSize   PFree
  /dev/sdb2  VolGroup00 lvm2 a-   465,62G    0

[root at myserver ~]# lvs
  Found duplicate PV 8D7K2wg15HqD0l9HxZCz7QlDfpqJOhXT: using /dev/sdb2 not
/dev/sda2
  LV       VG         Attr   LSize   Origin Snap%  Move Log Copy%
  LogVol00 VolGroup00 -wi-ao 150,00G
  LogVol01 VolGroup00 -wi-ao   1,94G
  LogVol02 VolGroup00 -wi-ao 313,69G

[root at myserver ~]# sfdisk -d
# tabla de particiones de /dev/sda
unit: sectors

/dev/sda1 : start=       63, size=   208782, Id=83, bootable
/dev/sda2 : start=   208845, size=976543155, Id=8e
/dev/sda3 : start=        0, size=        0, Id= 0
/dev/sda4 : start=        0, size=        0, Id= 0
# tabla de particiones de /dev/sdb
unit: sectors

/dev/sdb1 : start=       63, size=   208782, Id=83, bootable
/dev/sdb2 : start=   208845, size=976543155, Id=8e
/dev/sdb3 : start=        0, size=        0, Id= 0
/dev/sdb4 : start=        0, size=        0, Id= 0

Awful--I expected to see just one device :P

> There might be a disk from an old RAID1 set in there.
Don't think so, this machine was integrated here with new materials.

Oops... system-config-lvm shows under 'Uninitialized entities':
/dev/sda
     -> part 1
     -> part 2
     -> unpartitioned space
/dev/sdb
     -> part 1
     -> unpartitioned space
These shouldn't be appearing as two discs in the first place-- but anaconda
said I only had one unit...
Anyway, why the asymmetry? Did I screw the RAID volume somehow? Or did I
install plain on sda and this RAID never worked as such? :P
The machine BIOS correctly describes the RAID volume at start. Doesn't It
smell like fake RAID?
Should I declare sdb invalid to the firmware program so as to force resync?
Thanks again
--
Eduardo Grosclaude
Universidad Nacional del Comahue