[CentOS] xfs on 5.2 (live cd + dvd)

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Tue Jul 29 20:40:12 UTC 2008

Michael Kress wrote:

> I'm planning a server migration and being able to mount xfs file systems
> with the live cd would be a cruical feature.
> So before I download and try ... can anyone tell me whether the xfs is
> included in the 5.2 live cd?

Well, try "yum install" with the "xfs" string and various wildcards and
you'll figure it out quickly.

> Under centos-4.5 I chose xfs for performance reasons. With 5.2, is it
> still the fs of choice when it comes to performance or do you have
> better recommendations? (It will be a combined web and mail server with
> moderate traffic, i.e. not toooo much but not tooo little).

Performance is not "one", it's "many". There are so many different
scenarios and in most cases it's impossible to tell whether any given FS
will perform better than another.

XFS will likely perform better than other FS when you're dealing with
large files, such as HD authoring and stuff like that. Even then, if you
want to be sure, it's probably best to do some benchmarks.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/