[CentOS] yum remove <old kernel pkgs> -- wants to remove a to n of stuff

Wed Jul 16 18:22:58 UTC 2008
Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com>

Johnny Hughes wrote:
> Bowie Bailey wrote:
> > Johnny Hughes wrote:
> >> You are trying to remove kernel-utils ...you don't want to do that.
> >> That might cut back the deps a bit.  Also, i never remove packages with

> >> yum, but with:
> >>
> >> rpm -e `cat list`
> >>
> >> But, that is just my advise.
> >
> > I didn't think there was any functional difference between:
> >
> > rpm -e package-name
> >
> > and
> >
> > yum remove package-name
> >
> > Isn't yum just a front-end for the rpm system?
> >
> There is a huge difference.
>
> rpm -e will tell you that you package foo (that you want to install) is
> required by package bar, so don't install it.
>
> Yum will resolve all the dependancies and try to remove foo and bar and
> anything else that is required to be removed if bar is removed, etc.
>
> If you are not careful, you can get things like glibc removed with "yum
> remove".
>
> I normally want to resolve my own deps if I remove something.  I once
> DID remove glibc from a machine with "yum remove" ... and that is NOT
> pretty to recover from :D

That makes sense.  I am always very careful about reviewing the
dependency list when using yum for installing or removing packages, but
I can see how you might accidentally remove something you didn't intend
to.

--
Bowie