[CentOS] new list proposal

Kenneth Price kprice at nowyouknow.net
Thu Oct 16 00:41:58 UTC 2008

----- "Jeff" <jlar310 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 4:52 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org>
> wrote:
> > And to better cater to these conversations, as well as further
> encourage
> > such content, we'd like to propose creating a 'centos-tech' list.
>
> There are probably as many (or more) threads that drift off topic as
> there are those that start out that way and are labeled as such. I
> don't think a new list is really going to help create the separation
> you seek. In fact, introducing a second list will probably generate
> many conversations on each list that really belong on the other.
>
> I favor one-stop shopping.

I agree with Jeff.  While I understand this general list can become a bit overwhelming for the CentOS Staff, we all must remember that this is a GENERAL list.  All questions, from the novice to the expert should be welcome.  This list is not only a way to get problems resolved, but a very effective learning tool for all users.  Let's remember why we're here.  To support and learn from our fellow CentOS users/admins.

I believe creating another list is a mistake.  Delegate a full-time moderator if you feel overwhelmed by the various threads created on this list, but a second list will only encourage cross-posting.

Lets not go the way of the DJB lists and become intolerant of general, but relevant conversations.

[steps off soapbox]

-Ken