[CentOS] Nightly yum update did an "upgrade"

Fri Oct 3 18:40:25 UTC 2008
John <jses27 at gmail.com>

On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 15:23 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> The real problem I see here is that updates within a release are not
> supposed to break things. So, what you really need to do is workout what
> apps broke and why, then I'd request you to file bug reports against
> those packages at http://bugs.centos.org/

JohnStanley Writes:

Karan, not to add fuel to the already burning fire but,,,,, If the OS
contains ONLY CentOs Bits then it should not Break. 2nd But is,,,If the
CentOs install contains Third Party RPMs then  on yun update it most
likely going to Kill those apps. IE, Proprietery Applications. I
personally many times have had to disable yum update because of this.

Also I do fully understand what you mean by saying updates in the
release are not supposed to break things but it happens all to often.
Only way I know of now to stop that is to use the yum excludes.