[CentOS] Open Letter to Lance Davis

Fri Jul 31 02:11:58 UTC 2009
Dag Wieers <dag at wieers.com>

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009, Rainer Duffner wrote:

> Am 30.07.2009 um 23:32 schrieb Neil Aggarwal:
>
>>> http://dag.wieers.com/blog/the-burden-of-keeping-things-private
>>
>> That posting states:
>>  I heard some vague numbers, likely in the 4 digits EUR range
>>  per month but real figures are only known by one person.
>>
>>  For at least three years people were donating money and sponsors
>>  were paying for website ads while the money was not flowing into
>>  the project, where it went to I can only guess.
>>
>> If this is true, it means the people donating to this project
>> have been ripped off.
>>
>> Can someone confirm this?
>
> What - the statement on Dag's website or your assumption?
> ;-)
>
> Rip-off is a harsh word.
> Ok, so I donated nothing so far, but still, this is a bit unfair to
> the rest of the team who are (now) scrambling to get their act together.

To be honest, I didn't feel as strong about the money from the past as I
did about the money that was still being made when I found out about this.
You cannot turn back time, but you can influence what is happening now.
(And for all I know it could be about peanuts as well, as I stated I have
no first-hand evidence of how much was being made)

That said, I would have been willing to consider the donated money as some
sort of ransom to get the domain, trademark and logo rights back and use
that as a new start for the project.

But of course you need Lance for any such deal and that's where I guess
the Open Letter comes into play. But this was not the only reason to leave
the team, if it was I would have left earlier.