[CentOS] Upgrade GTK2 from 2.10 to 2.12 ?

Wed May 27 18:57:29 UTC 2009
nate <centos at linuxpowered.net>

Niki Kovacs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using CentOS 5.3 on all my desktops, and I really like it. Now I'd
> like to build a few additional apps that aren't included in any third
> party repo. Some of them require GTK2 2.12 to build, so I'm considering
> a (careful) upgrade of this package.
>
> General question: 1) how "safe" is it to upgrade this package? To do so,
> I'd use an SRPM from Fedora. 2) What could I possible "break" on a
> vanilla CentOS install by doing this?

Try it out and see what happens.. since the version change seems
pretty minor I wouldn't expect too much breakage .. Though to be
on the safe side it's probably good to install it to another
directory(/usr/local or something) and change the package name so
it doesn't conflict.

When building your new programs just be sure that you point them
to the other version of GTK via LD_LIBRARY_PATH CPPFLAGS etc..

nate