[CentOS] unattended fsck on reboot

Timo Schoeler timo.schoeler at riscworks.net
Thu Feb 18 18:10:38 UTC 2010

------- Original message -------

Hm, I'm talking about both: My file server (about 10TiByte RAID) and...

> a) I'm talking about
> work;

..my systems at work.

> b) My manager, my co-worker, and myself support nearly 200 servers,
> including 5 clusters.

Roughly the same numbers here - and that's the CentOS boxen only, not to
mention xBSD, Solaris, and AIX machines.

IMHO one of the main reasons for running (Open)Solaris for most people
(read: those w/o having to run Solaris due to historical reasons) do so
because of ZFS.

XFS has different feature sets, strenghts and weaknesses, but the advantage
of both XFS and ZFS is their total lack of fsck hassles, compared to extN.

> Some people that we support "only" run jobs that go
> for 2-4 days, but there was the guy who was running a job that I had to
> wait until it was finished to reboot the NFS server with his home
> directory... and I waited ->two weeks<-.

So, where's exactly the connection to underlying file systems?

> Then there's the question of how we'd migrate.
>
> Sorry, time for a real world check.

One of my most favorite jokes is to begin IT related discussions with 'in
an ideal world'... ;)

>          mark "that is, if my manager was willing in the
>                   first place"

Timo