[CentOS] DNS problem while trying to join windows 7 to samba3x pdc

Thu Jul 8 20:31:01 UTC 2010
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On 7/8/2010 3:11 PM, JohnS wrote:

> On Thu, 2010-07-08 at 14:55 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
>
>>> Correct and Not Correct... How about that?  There really is no right or
>>> wrong in either of you twos answer.  The right way is Wins on every SN
>>> to pass to the MB.  That's my opinion.
>>
>> So what do you do on a VPN connection that is configured to not be on
>> the same subnet as any server?  Or subnets where there is no
>> windows-related service at all but you might plug in a client?
> ---
> And your getting at what?  How does this relate to the OPs problem?

I'm getting at your assertion that a Wins server on every subnet is
"right"  being impractical in most networks.  And like the OPs problem
it has to do with a windows client being able to resolve a windows name
on a different subnet.

> You seen to have a little knowledge of ip.  So why not pass the proper
> routing info to the vpn client.  If perhaps it was configured right the
> first time there would not be no what do I do now.

Windows name resolution has next to nothing to do with ip routing.  If
your routing works you can make windows name resolution work over it,
but it isn't automatic.

> Windows related servvce problem?  Slap a dhcp helper to pass the
> connections to the main dhcp server then to the wins server.  It can be
> any Unix variant dhcp helper and server.  There's two words for this:
> 'Network Aware".  That's all it takes.

DHCP service also doesn't have much to do with name resolution other
than being able to hand out the address of the resolver.

> Don't make so complicated you can't control.

Agreed, but putting a wins server on every subnet would be complicated -
and unnecessary.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com