[CentOS] Howto enter a password to mount windows share in Places

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 22:03:49 UTC 2010

On 9/17/2010 4:48 PM, Denis wrote:
> Akemi Yagi wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 12:05 PM, Denis<Denis.Becker at mnsu.edu>   wrote:
>>> Hi - using gnome I am trying to use Places ->   Connect to Server to mount
>>> a windows share. I can do:
>>>
>>> smbclient //disk.site.edu/uname$ -U uname%passwd
>>>
>>> but have not been able to transfer that infomation into the GUI that can
>>> mount the Windows Share, specifically can't figure out how to enter the
>>> password.
>>>
>>> I'm trying make things as simple as possible for windows students to use
>>> CentOS.
>>
>> Then this CentOS wiki is your friend:
>>
>> http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/WindowsShares
>>

> Thanks, I looked there. But I was looking for something that would
> easily disconnect and maybe do it automatically when the user was logged
> out. This will be used in a small lab setting where there will be an
> single login so I don't want to leave one person's account mounted for
> the next person to have be able to access. I guess I am looking for
> something that would function like NIS. I guess an option is to run NIS
> and then a person can have the some of this customized for the user.

If you already have a windows server/domain with all the accounts you
can do smb authentication against it instead of setting up nis.  Just
run system-config-authentication and enable it, configuring the domain
and controllers to use.   You still have to create matching accounts on
the server but you don't have to manage separate passwords.  It doesn't
quite solve your problem but it gives you a home directory where you can
add things per user - and maybe there's a way to get the automounter to
do it.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com