[CentOS] OT: RHEL 6.1 is out

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Thu May 19 13:56:38 UTC 2011

On Thu, 19 May 2011, Brunner, Brian T. wrote:

>> herrold earlier:
>> and look at all the anaconda related, and other fixes, that
>> should have been in a dot zero release ... gee

> Which means, that RHEL6.0 should have just now come out today; the
> release called 6.0 was a teaser and a beta of the release called 6.1
> which should have been called 6.0!

There is an old piece of wisdom in IT to avoid the public 'dot
zero' products so that some-one else gets to be the advance
guard scout (you know, the one who staggers back to base camp,
festooned wth arrows in him)

even if a vendor names its initial product 2.1, or 3.0.3, it
is still a 'dot zero' until eager and inadvertent public
release (and perhaps unknowing) 'gamma testers' ('They CAN'T
BE 'beta' testers -- we _did_ a beta') get fried a few times,
a la Dr Bruce Banner and his Gamma ray accident

-- Russ herrold