[CentOS] the majority will NEVER use smartphones

Craig White craig.white at ttiltd.com
Thu Nov 17 16:02:00 UTC 2011

On Nov 17, 2011, at 6:55 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 17.11.2011 14:44, schrieb Les Mikesell:
>> Not sure I understand - a soft keyboard only takes screen space when
>> needed.  And a very popular device is making news about its voice
>> input app that is sort-of usable.
>
> i do not speak about soft-keyboard
>
> i speak about wasting braindead space with big icons and big spaces between
> icons to make interfaces better working with touch-displays while it wastes
> space for users of a classical computer
>
> and PLEASE do not tell me about usability of small icons for some people since
> i am nearly blind on my right eye after some medical operations in the context
> computer screen and have on the left one 60-75% - that does not change the
> fact that i could jump in any developers face which is wasting space on
> my screen so that i see finally the same on my 23" as some years before
> with 17"
>
>> I think we are only a few years away from fully usable voice controls
>> which will eliminate any size requirements for your end point device.
>> Keyboard input isn't really that great anyway.
>
> *lol*
>
> you really believe you want to write a letter with voice control?
----
people do this right now
----
> you really believe you want operate with eclipse and voice control?
----
probably not but eclipse is used by only a small percentage of people with specific needs
----
> you really believe you want to operate in a root-terminal with voice control?
----
sure
----
> you really believe you want to edit config-files with voice control?
----
sure
----
> you really believe you want to work with spreadsheets and voice control?
----
sure
----
> you really believe you want to work with GIMP and voice control?
----
that would take considerable advancement of vocal interface
----
> you really believe you want to edit videos with voice control?
----
sure
----
> you can replace "voice control" with "touch-keyboard"!
>
> recognize that there are MANY users which are NOT plaing a little bit
> with their devices - they are WORKING with their devices and in times
> where nearly in all jobs computers are needed to do the daily work
> it is simply ignorant start designing interfaces PRIMARY for the next
> big thing because some homeusers are happy with all this crap
----
development follows the money. Computer sales are flat and convergent devices such as smart phones and tablets are selling. Why is it so hard to figure out that computer development is following the money?

Recognize that it's not just Linux development but Microsoft is developing Windows 8 to run on many different hardware platforms including ARM and it's clear that they see this as essential to their continued existence. Apple is seeking to parlay their small device success into greater penetration into the main computer sales. You are seeing the convergence of what is known as smart phones, tablet computing and the personal computer into an amorphous OS that can take any form. Don't forget that even the computer on everyone's desk at their work place is really just a 'personal computer' with some ability to use shared resources, whether physically at the office or somewhere in the Internet cloud.

As for the majority... more than 50% of all phones sold now are smart phones. Soon everyone, everywhere will have one.

Craig