[CentOS] server fails to boot GRUB and flashing cursor

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 21:43:39 UTC 2012

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 4:17 PM, Dan Carl <danc at bluestarshows.com> wrote:

> #mount -t ext3 /dev/sda1 /mnt/myboot
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1,
>         missing codepage or other error
>         In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
>         dmesg | tail  or so
>
> I have nothing in my boot directory. Will I have to reload the kernel
> and grub?

/boot should have been a mount point, so it will be empty if you can't
mount the partition.

> ran fsck got
> Superblock has an invalid ext3 journal (inode 8).
> Clear<y>?
>
> Should I select Y?

I don't think I've ever recovered from something that complained about
superblock problems, so you probably shouldn't take my advice.  But
I'd answer yes, assuming that fsck knows more about disk structure
than I do.   Then if it doesn't recover, you'll need to reformat that
partition and replace its contents.  If you have backups you could
restore from there - or copy the /boot contents from some similar
system.  You need to have the right disk driver module in your initrd,
though, so if you don't have a system that matches, you'll need to
rebuild the initrd from your rescue boot CD.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com