[CentOS] sa-update error with perl

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Sat Jan 7 19:33:14 UTC 2012

On 01/07/2012 12:50 PM, email builder wrote:
>>>  See above - it's the spamassassin restart that causes the error, in
>>>  the end, nothing really to do with sa-update.

>>>  So maybe I *do* need to open a bug report?  Where do I do that?
>> can you try to disable ipv6, then reboot and see if you still get the
>> error message?
> Sorry, it's a production machine, I'd rather not do that.  I can make small
> changes but a reboot--   Beside, if this is the set of packages CentOS
> gives me when I install something like spamassassin, it seems like
> they should work no matter what.   But don't get me wrong, I really
> appreciate your suggestion.

It is not the CentOS packages causing your issues.  I told you already
that I have spamassassin running with these packages with no problems:
[root at localhost ~]# rpm -qa | grep -i perl | sort
mod_perl-2.0.4-6.el5.x86_64
perl-5.8.8-32.el5_7.6.x86_64
perl-Archive-Tar-1.39.1-1.el5_5.2.noarch
perl-Archive-Zip-1.16-1.2.1.noarch
perl-Authen-SASL-2.10-1.el5.1.noarch
perl-BerkeleyDB-0.32-1.el5.x86_64
perl-BSD-Resource-1.28-1.fc6.1.x86_64
perl-Class-Singleton-1.4-1.el5.centos.noarch
perl-Compress-Zlib-1.42-1.fc6.x86_64
perl-Convert-ASN1-0.20-1.1.noarch
perl-Convert-BinHex-1.119-5.el5.noarch
perl-Convert-TNEF-0.17-7.el5.noarch
perl-Convert-UUlib-1.4-1.el5.x86_64
perl-DateTime-0.42-1.el5.centos.x86_64
perl-DateTime-Format-Mail-0.3001-1.el5.centos.noarch
perl-DateTime-Format-W3CDTF-0.04-1.el5.centos.noarch
perl-DateTime-Locale-0.35-1.el5.centos.noarch
perl-DateTime-TimeZone-0.6904-1.el5.centos.noarch
perl-DBD-MySQL-3.0007-2.el5.x86_64
perl-DBD-SQLite-1.14-3.el5.x86_64
perl-DBI-1.52-2.el5.x86_64
perl-Digest-HMAC-1.01-15.noarch
perl-Digest-SHA1-2.11-1.2.1.x86_64
perl-File-RsyncP-0.68-1.el5.centos.x86_64
perl-GSSAPI-0.24-2.el5.x86_64
perl-HTML-Parser-3.55-1.fc6.x86_64
perl-HTML-Tagset-3.10-2.1.1.noarch
perl-IO-Multiplex-1.08-5.el5.noarch
perl-IO-Socket-INET6-2.51-2.fc6.noarch
perl-IO-Socket-SSL-1.01-1.fc6.noarch
perl-IO-stringy-2.110-5.el5.noarch
perl-IO-Zlib-1.04-4.2.1.noarch
perl-LDAP-0.33-3.fc6.noarch
perl-libwww-perl-5.805-1.1.1.noarch
perl-Mail-SPF-Query-1.999.1-3.el5.noarch
perl-MailTools-1.77-1.el5.centos.noarch
perl-MIME-tools-5.420-3.el5.noarch
perl-NetAddr-IP-4.027-5.el5_6.x86_64
perl-Net-CIDR-Lite-0.20-2.1.el5.noarch
perl-Net-DNS-0.59-3.el5.x86_64
perl-Net-IP-1.25-2.fc6.noarch
perl-Net-Server-0.96-2.el5.noarch
perl-Net-SSLeay-1.30-4.fc6.x86_64
perl-Params-Validate-0.89-1.el5.centos.x86_64
perl-Razor-Agent-2.85-1.el5.x86_64
perl-Socket6-0.19-3.fc6.x86_64
perl-TimeDate-1.16-5.el5.noarch
perl-Time-modules-2003.1126-1.el5.centos.noarch
perl-Unix-Syslog-0.100-9.el5.1.x86_64
perl-URI-1.35-3.noarch
perl-XML-NamespaceSupport-1.09-1.2.1.noarch
perl-XML-Parser-2.34-6.1.2.2.1.x86_64
perl-XML-RSS-1.32-1.el5.centos.noarch
perl-XML-SAX-0.14-11.noarch
perl-XML-Simple-2.14-4.fc6.noarch

The issue you are having, based on the error that you posted, is that
something else is already providing the subroutine
"Net::DNS::Resolver::Base::AF_INET6" when it is trying to be loaded by
perl module provided by CentOS (perl-Net-DNS-0.59-3.el5.i386).  What we
do not know is what ELSE is providing that routine.

Since I have the same 3 RPMs installed that you are quoting as the
potential issue, and since I am not having the dual subroutine issue,
that implies that the "SOMETHING ELSE" providing the other
"Net::DNS::Resolver::Base::AF_INET6" is not any of the packages that I
have installed.

So, I would say that this issue must be caused by the intermixing of
perl modules from other than CentOS repositories.

Can anyone reproduce this issue without .rf. or .rfx. perl modules
installed?