[CentOS] sa-update error with perl

email builder emailbuilder88 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 9 02:40:13 UTC 2012

>>>  can you try to disable ipv6, then reboot and see if you still get the
>>>  error message?
>>
>>  Sorry, it's a production machine, I'd rather not do that.  I can
>> make small
>>  changes but a reboot--   Beside, if this is the set of packages CentOS
>>  gives me when I install something like spamassassin, it seems like
>>  they should work no matter what.   But don't get me wrong, I really
>>  appreciate your suggestion.
>
> It is not the CentOS packages causing your issues.  I told you already
> that I have spamassassin running with these packages with no problems:

Although I have the 32-bit packages which could be slightly different, no?

That said, I would tend to think you're correct:

> The issue you are having, based on the error that you posted, is that
> something else is already providing the subroutine
> "Net::DNS::Resolver::Base::AF_INET6" when it is trying to be loaded by
> perl module provided by CentOS (perl-Net-DNS-0.59-3.el5.i386).  What we
> do not know is what ELSE is providing that routine.

It seems like it shouldn't be hard to grep for who the culprit is, but what
do I know - doing this didn't turn up anything I could too easily decypher:

cd /usr/lib/perl5
grep -rin 'af_inet6' *

I only got 40 lines of output from that so I could post them if needed.
Grepping exactly for "sub af_inet6" gives me only one result:

5.8.8/i386-linux-thread-multi/bits/socket.ph:66:    eval 'sub AF_INET6 () { &PF_INET6;}' unless defined(&AF_INET6);

Are there modules that are placed somewhere other than
/usr/lib/perl5 that could have the offending code?  Or is this
a fruitless way to track down the problem?