[CentOS] (OT): Horde initial SQL setup

Craig White craig.white at ttiltd.com
Wed Jan 25 21:48:51 UTC 2012

On Jan 25, 2012, at 11:53 AM, Bill Campbell wrote:

> I haven't been able to find anything useful on the horde sites,
> and I haven't found anything useful with 'yum search'.
>
> I am trying to set up horde webmail using the PEAR install on a new
> CentOS 5 system intending to migrate existing horde-3.x sites to horde-4.x.
>
> The PEAR installation procedure asked for the database type, db name, and
> password.  I had not created the mysql database before running the
> installation thinking that this would be done as part of the installation
> (silly me :-).  I know little or nothing about the internals of PEAR as I
> generally avoid PHP if at all possible so I don't know what's necessary to
> nuke the entire installation and start from scratch other than to restore
> the VMware VM from the snapshot I made before starting this project.
>
> In the past I have done this manually from the various tarballs available
> from horde.org, and these had the appropriate SQL scripts to initialize
> mysql and postgresql back ends.  The PEAR installation doesn't seem to have
> these, nor do the sources obtained with 'git'.  They do have upgrade
> scripts to update from various earlier version of horde which could work
> for existing installations, but would require more work with new installs.
>
> I tried finding appropriate SRPMs so I could look at their SPEC files to
> see how others have done this, but haven't been able to find ones for
> horde-4.x.
>
> The options seem to be:
>
>   + Get SQL scripts to create the necessary databases.
>
>   + Find the appropriate SPRMs for the horde components to see how they
>     take care of this in their %post installation processing.
>
>   + Uninstall the existing stuff using pear, and start from scratch after
>     first creating the appropriate database.
>
>   + Give up and continue to use the older versions of horde components
>     which do work.
>
> Suggestions, pointers to documentation, ???
----
you're going to have to make up your mind which you want to use, MySQL or PostgreSQL

After that decision is made, you would simply create the databases using the client tools of either or if you are unfamiliar/uncomfortable using command line to create user/database/privileges for the database of choice, you probably just want to use something like webmin (can do either postgres or mysql), MySQL_Query_Browser (mysql) or PgAdmin3 (postgres)

Craig