[CentOS] One of my servers wont boot today

Jason T. Slack-Moehrle slackmoehrle at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 23:43:45 UTC 2012

Hi,

> > > It's an option for most LVM commands. Do a "man lvdisplay" and look in the
> > > SYNOPSIS section. Apparently most options lvdisplay understands aren't
> > > actually listed in the OPTIONS section.
> >

> > Thanks.
> >
> > It does list out the volume information, what else should it do?
>
> what does lvm lvscan says, are they active? if not, run "vgchange -a y
> VolGroup-1" to activate them (temporary only, while using that
> DVD/LiveDVD). it should activate that Volume Group and all Logical
> Volumes in it. Now you can scan it wit fsck
>
> Then you may need to mount it in some created folder (mkdir -p
> /sysimage/LogVol00; mount /dev/VolGroup-1/LogVol00 /sysimage/LogVol00).
>
> Check if your system had any updates (kernel in particular) between
> reboots. Maybe something gone bad.

I did  vgchange -a y VolGroup00

and it activated 3 volumes

So I am trying to fsck and it comes up with the same super block error I had but I dont see how to fix it.

It says:

/dev/VolGroup00/. The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2 filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2 filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock: e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

So I tried e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/VolGroup00

and it seems I get the same error coming up over and over

I tried:

fsck -y b=8193 /dev/VolGroup00 as well

Any thoughts?

-Jason