[CentOS] Server hangs after installing KVM

Thu Jun 27 15:47:44 UTC 2013
Guy Boisvert <boisvert.guy at videotron.ca>

Le 2013-06-27 10:39, Reindl Harald a écrit :

> Am 27.06.2013 16:26, schrieb Guy Boisvert:
>> As for Supermicro, i was using Tyan before but their support (and
>> associated website) was very bad (last time i used it was 2 years ago,
>> maybe it's better now, dunno...).  If we exclude Supermicro and Tyan,
>> i'm not sure were i could go for "OEM" servers.  I don't like HP, Dell,
>> etc.: Expensive and they use a lot of "for them only" parts + they try
>> to sell packages that are often not what i want
> your choice - you get what you pay for
>
> these days someone buys a HP Pro Liant with a vSphere license
> or install VMware ESXi in the  free version and install his
> operating systems on top of it which is a scaleable solution
> and can be upgraded to a cluster with HA, SAN storages whatever
> without ever re-install the guest systems
>
> but you get what you paied for...............

I kicked out VMWare and their "Windoze" tools i hate (i know that now
they offer a VM with command line tools).  I'm not saying VMWare is not
good though, it's just i hate their tools.  On top of that, it can cost
a lot of money.  But they have the features!

I moved to KVM and i'd say i like it a lot.  I'm planning to test OpenStack.

For storage, big names (3Par, Netapp, etc) offer nice things but it is
rather expensive.  I'm testing iSCSI servers with DRDB, STONITH, etc.

Idea is to use commodity hardware and standard software.  Nothing new
and i'm not against commercial solution with support and all. It's just
we try to offer affordable and open solutions.