[CentOS] CentOs 7.0 and reboot failure

Gregory P. Ennis PoMec at PoMec.Net
Fri Nov 28 04:04:36 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-11-27 at 18:50 -0600, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 13:50:17 -0600
>
> On Sun, 23 Nov 2014 13:07:47 -0600
> Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
>
> > I also changed the boot level to 5.
>
> Do you mean the runlevel?  If so, are you sure that you changed it correctly?
>
> Centos 7 doesn't use runlevels set in inittab like previous versions did.  I see that fact is actually noted in /etc/inittab, along with the expected way to do it.
>
> Frank,
>
> Yes, you are correct, I changed the run level and not boot level to 5
> and did so by using the command :
>
> ln -sf /lib/systemd/system/graphical.target /etc/systemd/system/default.target
>
> Also, I appreciate everybody's input on this, but I am still at a loss
> as to how to fix this.  Without being able to reboot, it sure makes the
> set up difficult.
>
> Does anyone else have any ideas??
>
> Greg

I have tried some additional changes that have not made a difference.

I disabled selinux - that made no difference
I stopped and disabled firewalld  - that made no difference.

I can boot this machine after I turn it off and then back on, but when I
try to do a shutdown now -r, the system hangs right after picking the OS
that is desired "CentOS Linux..........".

After the machine is turned off the boot process occurs normally after
this choice and I get two penguins in the upper left hand corner, and
the boot proceeds.  When I do a shutdown now -r, I do not get to the
penguins and the machine hangs forever until I either unplug it or press
the power button for 5 seconds.

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Greg