[CentOS] Thunderbird randomly segfaults at startup

Sun Jan 11 02:56:42 UTC 2015
Mark LaPierre <marklapier at gmail.com>

On 01/10/15 20:39, Robert Nichols wrote:
> Anyone else seeing this? This is happening on a straight "Desktop" install
> of CentOS 6.6 fully updated. I have made no changes other than
> installing Thunderbird. Thunderbird will occasionally (10 to 20% of the
> time) fail to
> start, and the abrt report indicates a signal 11 (SIGSEGV). I don't see
> any other reports of this. Is no one using Thunderbird these days?
>
> Do abrt reports submitted from CentOS go anywhere useful these days?  I
> saw some discussion a while back, but don't recall the results. Should
> I submit one?

I have the same problem with Thunderbird and Firefox after the update
from C6.5 to C6.6.  I've wined and complained about it on this list in
the past but have not seen any useful response.  Other users on this
same system have the same issue so it's not my personal profile that's
causing the issue.

The C6.6 update also broke web camera functionality.  I understand
there's a kernel patch that fixed the web camera issue but it has yet to
ship in any production C6 32 bit or 64 bit kernels.

To work around the Thunderbird/Firefox issue I start them in a terminal:

[mlapier at mushroom ~]$ thunderbird &
[mlapier at mushroom ~]$ firefox &

If they fail to start after a reasonable time I use the up cursor key
and replay the command until it does work.

[mlapier at mushroom ~]$ thunderbird &
[1] 22072
[mlapier at mushroom ~]$ [calBackendLoader] Using libical backend at
/home/mlapier/.thunderbird/1qzdaguv.default/extensions/{e2fda1a4-762b-4020-b5ad-a41df1933103}/components/libical.manifest
enigmail.js: Registered components
mimeVerify.jsm: module initialized

[mlapier at mushroom ~]$ firefox &
[2] 22125
[mlapier at mushroom ~]$ firefox &
[3] 22158
[2]   Segmentation fault      (core dumped) firefox
[mlapier at mushroom ~]$ firefox &
[4] 22244
[3]   Segmentation fault      (core dumped) firefox
[mlapier at mushroom ~]$ firefox &
[5] 22340
[4]   Segmentation fault      (core dumped) firefox
[mlapier at mushroom ~]$ firefox &
[6] 22426
[5]   Segmentation fault      (core dumped) firefox
[mlapier at mushroom ~]$

CentOS release 6.6 (Final)

Linux mushroom.patch 2.6.32-504.3.3.el6.i686 #1 SMP Tue Dec 16 22:55:44
UTC 2014 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

 21:54:52 up 1 day, 13:27,  3 users,  load average: 2.02, 2.07, 2.14

--
    _
   °v°