[CentOS] OT Strange IP address on home network

Sun Nov 1 12:40:35 UTC 2015
Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net>

ken wrote:

>>> You should be able to use nmap to scan the device.
>>
>> Thanks very much for the suggestion, I'll try that.

> Try putting this line
> IPV6INIT=no
> in the relevant config file, probably something like
> /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth?
> then restart your network.

I don't have a directory /etc/sysconfig/networking/ on my CentOS-7 server,
but I have IPV6INIT=no in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-enp{23}s0 .

Incidentally, I haven't yet worked out how to get any useful information
from nmap, as suggested by Johnny Hughes - I only get information
about open ports, which is interesting but not relevant to my query
about the 169.254.* address appearing in "arp -a" on my server.
I looked at "man nmap" but there seem to be an infinity of options.

--
Timothy Murphy
gayleard /at/ eircom.net