[CentOS] PolicyKit calls fail from rtkit-daemon

Fri Jul 15 14:12:29 UTC 2016
Edgecombe, Jason <jwedgeco at uncc.edu>

Hi everyone,

I'm having some odd system behavior on two CentOS 7 machines. I suspect
that the trouble is related to polkitd and dbus I think that the following
error message is a key clue, but I'm not sure how to continue
troubleshooting it:.

--------------------------begin log-----------------------
Jul 15 10:00:27 localhost rtkit-daemon[1609]: Warning: PolicyKit call
failed: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote
application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked
the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
--------------------------end log-----------------------

I can confirm that things seem to temporarily improve by killing polkitd
and letting it be restarted by systemd.  I was getting "out of memory"
errors form polkitd until I increased the stack memory limit

This is all part of various login issues when using the Gnome and
Gnome-classic desktop environments over XRDP. I've temporarily disabled the
GNOME and Gnome-classic environments for my users when sing RDP and set the
default to MATE, since MATE seems to be acting correctly. KDE seems to be
fine as well.

Other pertinent info:
# uname -r
3.10.0-327.10.1.el7.x86_64
# rpm -q systemd
systemd-219-19.el7_2.9.x86_64
# rpm -q polkit
polkit-0.112-6.el7_2.x86_64

Any help or guidance that can be given is appreciated.

Sincerely,
Jason

Jason Edgecombe | Linux Administrator
UNC Charlotte | The William States Lee College of Engineering
9201 University City Blvd. | Charlotte, NC 28223-0001
Phone: 704-687-1943
jwedgeco at uncc.edu | http://engr.uncc.edu |  Facebook
If you are not the intended recipient of this transmission or a person
responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, any disclosure,
copying, distribution, or other use of any of the information in this
transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission
in error, please notify me immediately by reply e-mail or by telephone at
704-687-1943.  Thank you.