[CentOS] Upgrade tool for 6 to 7 migration

Mon May 9 23:15:13 UTC 2016
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 05/09/2016 05:21 PM, Jerry Geis wrote:
> Is the https://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/CentOSUpgradeTool
> still not recommend?
>
> Is there a expected time when it will be working?

I personally would never do an in place upgrade on a production machine.
 Call it a personal bias.

The versions we have released do not work .. there are updates that need
to be refactored and rolled in.

There are several upgrades to the tool, and I expect there will be
another set shortly before or just after the 6.8 release.

Here are the tools used:

Pre Upgrade Assistant:
https://git.centos.org/summary/?r=rpms/preupgrade-assistant

Upgrade Tool:
https://git.centos.org/summary/?r=rpms/redhat-upgrade-tool

openscap:
http://vault.centos.org/6.7/os/Source/SPackages/openscap-1.0.10-3.el6.centos.src.rpm

As you can see, there have been several updates since the last time an
update was rolled in (4 updates to the c6 upgrade tool, 6 upgrades to
the preupgrade-assistant.)  The openscap might be OK as is, not 100% sure.

These packages were supposed to be community maintained, but no one has
done the work to try to keep this updated.  I can TRY to do this (but
not for a while), but it would be better if someone from the community
would do it.

Thread concerning the initial tool patches:
https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2014-July/011558.html

NOTE: The patches are scrubbed from the list, but if you have archives
of the email, they are attached to the actual mails.  The are also in
git.centos.org now.

Another thread:

https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2014-July/011632.html

and another:

https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2015-October/013898.html

So, what we need is someone from the community to maintain this.  Is
there anyone who will take a look and refactor the patches and test?
This would be done on the centos-devel mailing list.  If you will
maintain it .. the info is in git.centos.org, format the patches as 'git
am' patches and I will work with you to get them into git and the
packages built.

If we can't get someone, then I will try to do it when I have time, but
it is not something that is a high priority and it has to come after my
other work.  I don't know when I can get to it.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes