[CentOS] C7 Desktop background - SOLVED

Tue May 17 07:32:28 UTC 2016
Rob Kampen <rkampen at kampensonline.com>

On 17/05/16 09:38, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Tue, 17 May 2016 09:29:52 +1200
> Rob Kampen wrote:
>
>> Tried that - it appears to run, i.e. prompt returns. No change. Logged
>> out and back in - no change, still gray. It has reset the background
>> that comes up when I move the cursor to the top left and see all the
>> open windows.
> It's a bit late to tell you this, but the configuration is stored in a file ~/.config/dconf/user so if you back that up before playing with it, you can return to your former configuration by restoring that file.
>
> Have you backed up your home directory lately?  Do you have an "old" copy of that file that you can restore?

removing the ~/.config/dconf/user folder worked - it resets everything
to clean install state, so one does have to set up everything once more.
I played around again and find that the tweak tool tab
Appearance >
 > Theme GTK+ ==> the select box is where things go pear shaped. If I
pick the Oxygen-gtk as the theme for my GTK windows that this makes the
desktop background disappear and go gray - busted in my situation.
Just another example of this product (Gnome3 on CentOS7) not really
ready for production use.